Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Rebellion of 67'

45 years ago on July 23rd, Detroit erupted into a war zone. The riots of 67' have long been an ever growing fascination of mine, and over the years I've read numerous books on the subject and have searched the internet high and low for any photos from those fiery five days. Well the Detroit News set up a slide show with some photos I've never seen before, and they just blew me away. Reading about it is one thing, but seeing images from that time in history is entirely on another level.  Here are some of my favorites, but you could click the link to see the rest of them.





 My grandfather was a Detroit Firefighter in 1967 and had to leave his wife and 6 children (including my mother) alone in the house in the middle of a war zone so that he could extinguish blazes while dodging sniper fire from roof tops. From his second story window on the east side, my dad was just a young boy, and stayed up late into the night watching as flames and clouds of smoke filled the sky from burning buildings in the distance, giving the impression a bomb had just been dropped.










"We hope for better things; it will rise from the ashes."









No comments:

Post a Comment