Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Light Painting Along the Ohio River

It seems like ages ago I left for the Long Road with Kelly close behind. She peeled off after Lima Ohio, and I powered on to just outside Madison, Indiana, on the Ohio River.

Pulled up to a camp site just around sun down and it looked like it could have been abandoned... there were no more than 6 or 7 trailers on this huge plot of land, and at least 4 of those trailers were completely blown out. A guy came rolling up in a decked out golf cart with his kid in tow and said "you can camp anywhere on the property for ten bucks" I spied the half empty box of Busch beer in between his feet and said "Throw in a few beers and its a deal."


After I set up shop in the middle of the field along the river, my golf cart buddy came whizzing by again and said i could take any wood I found on the property to make a fire. Like a typical white man, I grabbed as much as I could possibly stuff on the back of my bike and proceeded to make a glorious blaze.


Took out my camera and tri-pod and started experimenting with long exposures. Turned out I could make it look like there were two of me... spooooooOOOOoooky!




A few moments later, I pulled out my head lamp and tried my hand at some light writing. Whats light writing, you ask? It involves shooting on a tripod and leaving the shutter on the camera open for a long time, about 30 seconds, and using a flash light to "write" a word in the air. When you're doing it, you really have no idea how its going to look, but once its done you can go back and see how good (or bad) your light writing really is. I had way too much fun with it, if you already tell...





A few beers later, i tried my hand at a custom flame job. Turned out better than i thought it would!




What fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment